Saturday, February 13, 2016

Part 3 Project 2 Landscape Exercise 3 360° studies

Choosing an "expansive landscape where you have an open view in all directions" is extremely challenging when living in the center of Cotonou, Benin - a bustling, concrete jungle. As we do not have a car to take my out into the countryside, and everything within walking distance is just as congested and overpoweringly urban, I decided that I needed to just do the best I could with my immediate environment. As we live on the third floor, at least we do have a slightly expansive view - if not altogether pretty. Our apartment has windows, or balconies on three sides, so I chose to use these viewpoints for my sketches.

It was quite a challenge in that it is extremely hot and humid outside, and the smell of the wind wafting from the dock yard three blocks away was nauseatingly fishy. However, once I got concentrating, I was able to put those distractions aside.

The scape that I have available includes lots of derelict half-finished buildings. So two of my viewpoints had the haunting shells of building exoskeletons. In some ways, I want to include them as they help to contextualize the city in which I am presently residing.

View includes derelict incomplete construction.
View towards the harbor with the cranes on the horizon.
View from the laundry window
I decided to keep my sketches simple and to just use a watercolor black pencil. I love the softness of the lead and the fact that I can use the pencil on its side and it gives an effective broad stroke.
View across mishmash of roofs




No comments:

Post a Comment