Monday, October 17, 2016

Conversation with Contemporary artist Mirjana Marsenic Vujovic

M Marsenic, Venice 2, acrylic on panel, 40x40cm.
My husband and I have recently moved to Podgorica, Montenegro. The country is stunning: its contrasting landscapes and the color rich vegetation that beckons me in.

I am currently working alongside a practicing fine artist, who also happens to work at my school in Podgorica, Montenegro. Mirjana Marsenic Vujovic graduated from the Faculty of Fine Art in Cetinje, Montenegro in 2013. (Wall Street International Art, 2016) She specializes in large abstract drawings, paintings and installations revolving around her reaction to nature. According to her portfolio, she creates abstract paintings “that act as reminders that the process of decay and growth simultaneously overlap. I focus on the textures present in our surroundings, such as overgrown bark on trees, moss on rocks or the weathered abstract textures found on man made walls and structures in the process of being reclaimed by nature.” (Vujovic, 2016)


Fig 2. M. Marsenic, Venice1,
Acrylic on panel, 40x40cm
The day after looking at her work, I took a long road trip with my husband and friends into the mountains in the northeastern area of Montenegro. It was fascinating to see the rich coloration of the fall colors in this region. The moss growing on the rocks, the perfect mini succulent gardens on the sides of cliff sides, the decomposition of trees, and the rich colors of the small lakes trapped in areas which have evidence of glacial action, made me sense her source of inspiration in this stunningly beautiful country. Her artwork echoes the coloration and textures of the scenes that energize me about this picturesque country. Her rich greens, burnt oranges and ambers can be seen in contrast to the rich dark tones of the decomposing tree bark.

It was interesting to hear from her that her media of choice are watercolor pencils, and acrylic paints. I was not expecting this, as the colors are so rich and the layers appear so intricate.

Mirjana has an exhibition which is currently going to open in Amsterdam. It was interesting to see some photographs of the works she has recently prepared for this exhibition. They are intricate in their drawn textural details. I find her work very inspirational as I am personally moved by nature, its rich colors, textures, and intricate co-dependencies. I am inclined to use her as my inspiration in exploring the wonderful textures and forms available to me in this new surrounding.

Illustrations

Figure 1. Vujovic, M. M., 2016. Venice2. [Art] (Gallery 106 in London, United Kingdom).

Figure 2. Vujovic, M. M., 2016. Venice1. [Art] (Gallery 106 in London, United Kingdom).

Works Cited

Vujovic, M. M., 2016. Mirjana Marsenic Vujovic. Podgrica: s.n.

Wall Street International Art, 2016. Clouded Identities: Nature Talks‼. [Online]
Available at: http://wsimag.com/art/19333-clouded-identities-nature-talks
[Accessed 16 October 2016].





No comments:

Post a Comment